Saturday, August 13, 2011

God's Fruit Basket

One thing that has blown all my categories this past week is how God has provided for me. If you don’t hear that lingo often or that sounds weird, let me clarify. God did not leave a “Welcome to Haiti” Fruit basket on my doorstep or anything of that sort. I have been here for a little over seven days and he has provided what I needed, when I needed it all along the way. And much of that is nothing tangible or material. Examples: The staff here at the school has been incredible! I have had much of what I need (sometime want) given to me, often before I have had to ask. A ride to the grocery store. Lesson on salad making. A glass of sweet tea from my sweet neighbors from the south. Such small small things that to me are God shouting “Hey, I got this. You’re where I want you. Enjoy.” And the list goes on…I found all the supply type stuff in an empty desk in my classroom. I had nothing in the way of posters or decorations from my room (how was I going to get posters here along with all of my living stuff). Well, I open a drawer in a filing cabinet and there is almost every map I could want! Feeling a little anxious about teaching stuff I’ve never taught before and haven’t really reviewed since I was my student’s age. Oh, here are some awesome notes from last year’s teacher to get you started. I have no idea how to speak this language, what does this mean, how do I say this? The school is going to pay someone local to come and teach us Creole. On, and on, and on.
“I got this.”
He has also provided in the transition and how I have felt emotionally. I haven’t missed any of the comforts back home. That is not to say that I am snuggling up with the rats or that I wouldn’t devour a #1 combo from Chik-fil-a (hold the pickles) right now, it’s just that I haven’t missed home. I miss my friends, and my family of course! But, I don’t miss hot showers, or tv, or driving a car. That feeling, the not missing stuff, isn’t coming from me. I am not being cavalier; I just really love it here. I love it in a way that can only come from God; can only come from being right where he wants me to be. And, as I’ve said all along, I don’t know why I’m here. I don’t have a letter with a 5-year plan from God explaining my purpose and objectives. I do, however, have a verse. Micah 6:8 “He has shown you O man what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”

1 comment:

  1. Your last paragraph hit home & is keeping the e-mail about this post in my inbox. "That feeling, the not missing stuff, isn’t coming from me. I am not being cavalier; I just really love it here. I love it in a way that can only come from God; can only come from being right where he wants me to be." Thanks for sharing these words. "But as for me, I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me." ~Micah 7:7

    ReplyDelete