Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Another great day in Haiti!

I honestly don’t plan on blogging everyday so don’t get too emotionally attached to this habit J Everything is just so new and exciting that I have to share, but eventually a rhythm will set in and updates will be slightly less exciting. Today we had orientation day 2 which was very similar to day one in schedule. I still am not 100% of all that I am teaching. I know right now I will be teaching 7th & 8th grade social studies as well we 7th grade keyboarding. There is talk that I will have a PE class which will give me 5 classes. They like to keep new-to-Haiti teachers at 4 classes, but since PE isn’t really that big of a load (sorry PE teacher, who knows, I may feel differently in a couple of weeks) I think it will be ok.
There are curriculum maps already made for 7th & 8th grade, but they were made by a former teacher and we are pretty much re-doing a lot of it. It’s a little stressful because I have never mapped out a year in a subject and decided what was important to teach. And, to be honest, my knowledge of ancient civilizations is a little rusty, but shhh, don’t tell anyone!
Kellyanne and I walked down to the grocery store earlier (we really don’t go all that often, but there are several random items that seem to get forgotten). On the way back I bought some avocados from a street vendor. I had an amount I wanted to pay. I held out the bill, said “twa” (phonetic spelling) and I got them! I felt like I had conquered something.
Interesting thought from our devotion this morning (yes, we start our days with devotions. Isn’t that awesome). The guy who led it said that one time he had put a question on a test that said “Why do you get out of bed each morning?” I thought that question was so interesting. There are about 437 different "churchy" answers, but try and not go with cliche. Just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment