Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Update: Back in Haiti for Round Two


Oh hey, this old blog thing. I guess I should dust it off and get back to updating. I am back in Haiti and about to begin round (year) two here at Quisqueya Christian School. I had a great time back in the states over the summer. I got to see friends and spend some time in Dallas. I was able to visit my friend Katie, along with my friend Jill, in the Seattle area. We did the tourist thing, saw Les Miserables, watched one day of the U.S. Olympic Track & Field trials, soaked up the cool weather, and enjoyed each other’s company. I went to a teaching conference in South Carolina and then got to spend time with family after that. All in all the summer was filled with friends, family, fun, relaxing, and soaking in all the comforts and ease that America provides. 

But, it was time to come back to Haiti...and I’m so glad to be here! I felt sort of out of place in America without an apartment or house, or even a bedroom to really call my own. I so appreciate the friends and family who opened their homes to me and were so gracious and accommodating, but I am definitely glad to be back in my own space and back in the craziness of Port-au-Prince, Haiti that I call “home” right now. 

I came back to Haiti a bit earlier than some of my coworkers. I joined up with some friends of mine from Watermark Chuch in Dallas who were in Haiti on a mission trip spending time at Mission of Hope. I enjoyed getting to visit and catch up with them and witness them experience life in Haiti. After that I came back to the hustle and bustle of the city to get settled back in my apartment and begin setting up my classroom. 

That’s right...my classroom! I am teaching 6th grade this year and have my own class and my own room. I’m so excited (and a little nervous) about what this year will be like. 

It feels strange to think that a year ago I was brand new here. A know-nothing noob fumbling around trying to interpret Creole and convert dollars to gourdes. How much I’ve learned and changed in a year, who knows where I will be and what I’ll know a year from now!

I’m pumped for the school year, fun with old friends and making new ones, getting to know my students and their families, and hopefully more travel around the country. 

Some things to pray for:
*The upcoming school year at QCS, that it would be a time of growth and change
*Continued stability (and improvement) in the country
*Protection from weather in the current hurricane season
*All-around safety and protection from illness

Thanks for following along for another year, I will definitely get better at updating now that I’m back!

No comments:

Post a Comment