Monday, May 14, 2012

Uh-mur-i-cuh

I’m glad I don’t live in America full-time. I’m proud to be an American, land of the free, home of the brave and all that, but I am very glad (especially in an election year) to live somewhere else. But, even with that, I love coming back for a few days. I arrived Wednesday night and by 11am Thursday morning I had already gone to Starbucks, Target, a real doctor, and Chick-fil-a. It was awesome. 
I changed my flight to come back a day early so I could see a doctor about my lip. I was worried about the way it was healing; it was still very swollen, looked infected, and was quite painful. I went to the doctor first thing Thursday morning. She told me it was very infected and that the medicine I was on wasn’t strong enough. 3 of the 4 stitches had already fallen out by the time I got to the doctor’s office and the other stitch wasn’t eally dong anything, so she took it out. I walked out with a prescription for some strong antibiotics and I was on my way.
I made it to sweet home College Station Thursday afternoon. I went by and visited the people at the office I worked at right after I graduated college and saw everyone and all the changes that had happened around campus. 

Then, it was time to visit family!! My parents knew I was coming; I had called from MIami so I could get my insurance information, but my grandparents had no idea I would be there. It was great to surprise them and see everyone. That night we went out for delicious Mexican food and had an early night.
My parents brought the dog!!
Delicious Chimichanga!!
Friday was big graduation day! We braved the crowds as thousands of people crammed into Reed Arena (the campus basketball arena) for one of 6 graduation ceremonies happening that weekend. After many, many, (many, many) names were called Chase walked across the stage and received his diploma! 

Waiting for the graduates to come in.
There he is!
Got the diploma!!



Chase and his girlfriend.
The whole family (yes, my eyes are closed. boo).

After another family dinner, a good night’s sleep, and a few more hours with family on Saturday I headed back to Dallas. I visited some more family, got some gifts (mostly candy) for people here on campus and relaxed in my nice, big, queen sized bed in the air conditioned house with quiet streets outside one last night. 
I had a mostly uneventful flight back to Haiti and am so glad to be back. I love the people here and I love how normal the sights, and smells, of Port au Prince feel. Every time I fly back I feel a little more comfortable navigating the craziness of the airport and the bumps in the street are so familiar. I am so lucky that I have not one, but two, homes. One more month at this home and then flying back for a summer in the other. I can’t believe how fast this year is going!

No comments:

Post a Comment