Thursday, May 24, 2012

Focus Shift


I have the whine-virus this week and it’s starting to get to me. Being back in the states last weekend messed up my groove. I experience fast internet, reliable electricity, and the all-around awesomeness of predictable first-world life.
I can say with the greatest of confidence that I am very happy here. I like my life here. I love the people I get to do life with. I love the students I am blessed to teach and lead. I have a great job, great coworkers, great bosses, great roommates, neighbors, friends. I am beyond blessed.
But this week has kinda sucked.
On Monday, Katie (roommate Katie) and I had some stuff stolen from our apartment. Katie lost her computer and I lost my iPhone. After being exceptionally annoyed all day, both at the violation of having a stranger in our apartment jacking our stuff, and at our lack of vigilance against such a situation, I thought I might get over it, suck it up, and have a better day the next.
Nope.
I get annoyed when I want to go for a run and have no music, when I want to check something online, set my alarm, take a picture - pretty much anytime I grab for my iPhone and it isn’t there. I have let this incident, this little thing, a piece of metal, plastic, and parts get on my nerves for 4 days now.  I’ve also been annoyed with the incessant heat, the multiple bug bites, and the internet that moves at a glacial pace. 
(If you are a blog “skimmer” and haven’t been reading all the details above, let me sum it up for you: I’ve been a big, smelly, whiner all week long.) 
But, I’m over it. I’m taking the advice of someone smarter than me...Paul.
“Finally, brothers [or whiny American girl in Haiti], whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:8-9


This isn't a "pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps" self-speech, but more of a "look-at-how-richly-blessed-you-are-and-stop-focusing-on-your-first-world-problems-you-big-baby" moment. I will choose to focus on God: his love for me, his love for the world, his plan, his awesomeness. I'm shifting my focus from me to Him. 


Good word Paul, good word.

1 comment: