Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Incredible Community

I am writing this post from the Port-au-Prince airport. I was supposed to fly out tomorrow afternoon, but this morning I changed my plan. A good friend suggested I extend my trip by a day and get my lip looked at by a doctor in the states. Not that I don’t trust the nurse that stitched me up (for the record, I don’t), but one stitch has fallen out and the swelling hasn’t gone down. As much as I enjoy looking like a big tough boxer-man, I would rather not spend the rest of my life with Angelina-Jolie-lips. I want my normal bottom lip back. So, I decided to leave a day early so I could visit a doctor. If I had kept my flights the same, this would have been virtually impossible. I am flying to Dallas, driving to College Station to see my little brother graduate from college, then driving back to Dallas and flying out early Sunday. Every minute is scheduled on this whirlwind trip and attempting to fit in a doctor’s visit would have been impossible. 
But, then some friends came in. My good friend Tina, who suggested a doctor look at my lip, called American Airlines, talked to people, gave up some airline miles, went above and beyond and got me on a flight a day early. My aunt in Dallas scheduled a doctor’s appointment for early tomorrow morning, I think before the office is technically even open! My friend Damon left work in the middle of the day to drive me to the airport. Several other teachers gave up their free periods to cover my classes. 

I hate asking for help. I absolutely hate it. I like to be self-sufficient and take care of myself. But, I don’t think we were built to operate that way. We were built and designed for community and one of the ways God shows his love for us and provides for us is through the community he puts in our lives. I get that in a touchy-feely emotional way. I love how God loves me through the fun, loving interactions I have with the community around me. But, sometimes I get a little uncomfortable when it moves past fun, and emotions into tangible acts of love: money given, time sacrificed, etc. But that is just one more way that God shows his love and provides for us.
Today I am in awe of His love for me and the community he has placed around me. I have great a family in the states and a great family in Haiti. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment