Monday, March 5, 2012

Weekend Differences

When I lived in Dallas, the big city, I don’t think I lived a big city life style. When Friday rolled around I didn’t look forward to slipping on my heels and glittery shirt and hitting up the uptown bars and fancy restaurants. I didn’t go clubbing or dancing or any of the “city” things one normally thinks of when they hear that word. On Fridays I would hang out with my friends either at a casual restaurant or watching a movie at someone’s house. Saturdays would begin with a long run followed by a stack of pancakes. Any number of things could happen that afternoon but none would involve fancy clothes or a lot of money. Sometimes friends and I would shop, run errands, serve somewhere in the city, catch up on work, etc. Saturday nights would again be spent with friends hanging out at someone’s house or maybe going to see a movie. 
I thought that my weekends here would be drastically different, but they really aren’t. This last Friday night four friends and I walked down to a restaurant for dinner (instead of mexican food we had pork and goat with rice and beans) then, we gathered at a friend’s house to hang out (well, we weren’t so much at the house as we were on the house...we hang out on the roof because it is nice and cool). Saturday morning Jill and I taptapped up to get groceries. Saturday night we were, again, hanging out with friends. Sunday was church and more friend time. Other weekend activities also include wandering down to the ravine to where some kids we know live, going for walks, lounging around, etc. Katie and I have pancakes each and every Saturday and occassionally that is preceded by a nice run around the neighborhood (that is definitely  different from a run in Dallas and deserves another post of its own). All in all, I don’t feel like my weekends are that different here. I spend them with great friends living, relaxing, serving, loving, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment