Monday, February 13, 2012

One Year Later

One year ago today I was on a plane that left Dallas, took a pit stop in Fort Lauderdale, and finally stopped in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. I was anxious over what I was leaving behind. As a first year teacher in the middle of the crazy season of preparing my students to take the dreaded state tests, I wasn’t sure if leaving for a week was such a good idea. I had a great sub and, thankfully, was able to leave that part of my world behind for the next 9 days. Good thing too because I had no idea what God had in store for me. 
At the Port-au-Prince airport, when you land, you deplane onto the tarmac (or whatever that is called) and then get on a shuttle to go to the building that houses customs and immigration and baggage claim. When I stepped out of the plane I felt the hot, steamy Caribbean air and saw the mountains that lie behind the airport. It was weird, but in that moment I knew that this short week in Haiti would not be my only experience in this country. I didn’t know how or in what way, but somehow Haiti would be a part of my life in some form or fashion. That may seem weird if you have never experienced it, but its the way I felt. But even then, knowing I would somehow be connected to Haiti, I didn’t know the specific how. Looking back a year from now, I remember those feelings. The excitement of the possibility of being involved here coupled with the uncertainty of knowing how. 
But here is is, one year later and I know I am right where I need to be. I’ve said that probably 754 times, but its so true. Yesterday I met my friend from Dallas at the airport here in Haiti. She is co-leading a team from Watermark (my church in Dallas) for a week here, partnering with Mission of Hope. It was weird to think back to me being in that place this time last year. I wonder what this week will bring for their team. What they think about Haiti and what God is going to do in their hearts this week. I am meeting another group from that same church this Thursday evening and riding with them out to Mission of Hope to spend Thursday night and Friday night. How fitting that my first visit out there since my first trip to Haiti falls right around the one-year later mark. 
I’m filled with joy when I think about what God has done in my heart and in my life in the last 365 days. One lesson of many that I have learned is to really trust God with his plan for me. He knows best, I just need to get out of the way most times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment