Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Random thoughts from one month in Haiti

Yep, the one month mark passed me by. I am a few days over my one month in Haiti mark. For my obligatory one-month-in-Haiti post I have a grab bag of thoughts for you:
Thought 1: having a house-keeper is awesome. I’m not sure what the correct title here is, but we have a lady who comes twice a week to clean our apartment and she does our laundry. I know what you’re thinking, “What a lazy slug! You really are suffering for the Lord there in Haiti what with a maid and all…”Now, before you think that (and I’m now judging you for judging me J) let me explain. In Haiti it is pretty common for people to have several people who work around there house. Cook, clean, do laundry, guard the house, etc. It gives local people a steady job and a chance to provide for their families. But, I would not be completely honest if I didn’t say that it was a great help to me. See, as with everything in Haiti, laundry is not as simple as it is in the states. You have to fill in the washer with a bucket full of water from the faucet. You can put your clothes in the dryer, but it doesn’t get hot. Or you can put your clothes on the line. But, you share the washers with everyone on campus so you have your specific time to do it once per week. You can’t exactly run to the Laundromat whenever you would like…because there really aren’t any. See, not so simple.
Lala does several apartments here on campus and she is the most incredible lady! She is saving up for her daughter to be able to go to school. So that is kind of what I see my money going to….the long term investment in a child’s education. And coming home to clean, folded, laundry is also great too.
Thought 2: I love buying from the street. I am getting way more confident getting food and other items from the street. Yesterday I left the house and came back with laundry detergent and avocados. You can get almost everything you need from the street. Eggs, veggies, mops, movies, toothpaste, soap, meat, clothes, etc, etc. It is cheap and extremely convenient.
Thought 3: I love the team of teachers and staff that god has assembled here. Each person has their own unique personality and skills. You really get to see 1 Corinthians 12 lived out. We all live, eat, work, and play together and I’m loving life with these unique and amazing people
Thought 4: Middle School kids are funny. Some of them are so lost with their schedule and lockers and books that they don't even know what to do. Their personalities are so fun and I love the moments where you can almost cut the awkwardness in the room with a knife. It's a good change.
Thought 5: I hate bugs. All bugs. Not only do I have dozens of mosquito bites, but the other day I wrapped up in a towel after showering and felt multiple stings on my back. Yep, ants. All over the towel. Hundreds of them. Ick.
Thought 6: There really isn’t anywhere else I would rather be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment