Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Running in Haiti

Aside from family, friends, and fast food, one of the things I have missed most here in Haiti is running. I’m not a crazy awesome runner, but ever since college running has become one of my favorite hobbies and is my go-to way to relax. When I was preparing to move here I didn’t know if there would be any areas where I would be able to run. I assumed running on the streets was out (due to safety and cultural insensitivity). I had resigned myself to workout videos and playing soccer. However, upon arrival I found two avenues to satisfy my running urge. Our school takes up a large block and is surrounded by a wall. There are sidewalks all around campus and 4 to 5 laps around equals a mile. Not ideal for distance running, but much better than nothing. Also, over the summer someone had donated a treadmill to our school! I have made do with these two running options the last five months but at times I have felt trapped inside the walls wanting to get on the road and stretch my legs. I wanted to run more than three miles at a time (that’s about as much as I can take running in laps around the school or on the treadmill). I wanted to go up hills and down hills, see the neighborhoods and more of the city that I live in.
Well, this last week I got that chance. A friend of mine who grew up as an MK in Haiti, and who also likes to run, let me join him for a run outside the walls. If you aren’t a distance runner you may not understand the crazy feeling of freedom I felt as we meandered around the streets, stretching our legs, exploring our neighborhood. I discovered what I already knew but hadn’t fully experienced while riding in a car: Haiti is hilly. We (ok, maybe just me) huffed and puffed up hills and then ran as fast as we could down them. I figured out the lay of the streets a little better; they seem clearer when you see them on foot than in a car. I returned to the school exhausted but feeling satisfied and a little more independent.
Then, on Sunday, I went with another friend on a run in another part of the neighborhood. This time it was just us two females running together and I didn’t know what to expect. Anytime there is not a male in your group (and sometimes when there is) you will attract a lot of attention (more than you normally do just being white). I’ll admit, I was a little nervous. Honestly, I was afraid of getting negative attention. Not the negative attention that we normally get (the stares, “hey blan”, “give me a dollar”, the kissey noises), but negative in the sense of “I don’t have enough food to feed my family and you are out here burning calories? Seriously?” Surprisingly though, we didn’t get that at all…ok, one lady said something but she seemed more mad at the world than at us specifically.
As we were running, my friend told me that Haitians are a very encouraging people and I got to experience that firsthand. As we are huffing up a hill we get shouts of “w ap kenbe?” (Are you holding on?) and “kouri, kouri, kouri!” (run, run, run!). Smiles and greetings and encouragement, not at all what I expected.
This country continues to surprise me at every turn. It’s different, it’s got its problems, but it’s got its charms too.
Going back to Texas the day after tomorrow. So excited!!

No comments:

Post a Comment