Sunday, October 23, 2011

Jeans!!

The first thing I put in the “never want to take to Haiti” pile was my favorite pair of blue jeans. It is approximately twelve jillion degrees in the shade here. The last thing I want to do is wear pants that are going to absorb all my sweat. No thanks, I’ll take my linen pants please. However, after being here for several weeks I realized that it is not twelve jillion degrees here (or at least my body has acclimated to the heat) and I miss my jeans for certain things. Watching a movie on a Friday night, going to the casual house church, non-uniform days…I missed my jeans!
Well, Watermark Community Church (my church home in Dallas) has partnered with an organization called Mission of Hope here in Haiti and they sent a team down here to work for a week. Well, I asked them if they wouldn’t mind being my mule and bringing some items to me from home. They eagerly agreed. My aunt and my old roommate put together my ever changing list of much wanted items (definitely not needed) and got them to Watermark. I met the team at the airport yesterday afternoon and got my bags. Inside I found some of my favorite movies from home, t-shirts, items I had ordered and shipped to Dallas, Peanut Butter M&Ms (best. candy. ever. No contest.), and my jeans! I wore them today and enjoyed them ever so much. I honestly have no idea why I was longing for these pants, but I was…you can’t explain crazy.
So, BIG BIG BIG thank you to my aunt, my friend, and to the Watermark team that delivered my stuff. I appreciate it a lot and appreciated the fun surprises in my bag. The team will be going around the city on Thursday and is stopping by the school to check it out. I’m excited to see them again and show them my ‘hood. Pray for their team and the work they will be doing. Also, check out Mission of Hope’s website. Sponsor a kid’s education while you’re there J

No comments:

Post a Comment