Sunday, November 11, 2012

Parent's Visit to Haiti


Whew, it’s been a long time since I’ve blogged. A lot has been going on: trip to the Dominican, school events, and my parents visiting me!

In the middle of October, my parents flew to Haiti and arrived on Thursday afternoon. I picked them up at the airport and drove us back to the school. What followed was a weekend of running around sight-seeing and trying to let them experience all that my life involves around here. 

On Thursday we walked around the school, watched a bit of a soccer game happening on campus, and then visited the grocery store. We ate a Haitian dinner made by a sweet friend of ours, Madame Josef. We had an early night to rest up for the weekend ahead of us.

Friday morning my parents joined me at our weekly Friday morning staff meeting. They were introduced around and were able to put faces to the names of the people I tell them about. After the meeting we headed out to TeacHaiti. My parents sponsor a little girl in 5th grade and I know they enjoyed getting to see where she goes to school. We visited a few of the classrooms and got to check out the fabulous jewelry program they have going on there. We then went to another business/ministry called The Apparent Project. This ministry hires parents of children to make crafts, goods, etc so that parents can make money to keep their children instead of giving them up for adoption as some parents feel they must do. We did a little shopping here and got some fun souvenirs. 

View around TeacHaiti.
TeacHaiti classroom.
A student my grandparents sponsor in TeacHaiti. 
Little ones lining up!


Later that afternoon we headed back to campus for lunch. We rested up a bit before heading out again. We drove to Petionville to visit the grocery store, Giant, where we do some of our shopping. After touring through Giant we made our way to a nice hotel, Karibe. After getting caught in nasty traffic on the way there we rested in the cool air and calm environment of Karibe. We ate a nice, early dinner and then came back down the hill to the school. 



Views from around Karibe. 

On Saturday morning we visited a basketball clinic that was being held on our campus and relaxed around the apartment. Around mid-morning our friend John Ackerman picked us up to take us around town. What a blessing this was! John and his wife Jodie have been in Haiti almost 30 years and they know their way around town. John took us downtown to see the ruins of the Presidential Palace. We saw various monuments and the cathedral downtown. My parents were able to see a part of Haiti even I hadn’t seen before. 





Photos of the remains of the palace. 





We got back late afternoon and spent the rest of the day relaxing and packing.  They flew out early the next morning and had a long trip home. It was great for them to experience my life here and be able to put a picture to some places that I talk about! Thanks for coming, it was great!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for the tips. It gives me more information about liquid nutrional supplements, this post is really helpful. Thanks a lot! For more information please visit
    Punta Cana Tour

    ReplyDelete