Thursday, September 27, 2012

Strange Habits

Thoughts on a Thursday night (because I haven't been very diligent about blogging....)

I sometimes wonder if, when I eventually move back to the states, I will be that weird person who lived overseas for a while. I wonder if I have developed certain odd habits that will stick with me for years to come.

--Will I always try to be in bed before 9pm, because that's when the air conditioner turns off and I want to fall asleep before it gets too hot?
--When I want to call my parents will I reach for my computer to Skype instead of my phone?
--Will I still spray bug spray on, even when I live in a less-mosquito infested area?
--Will I feel the need to always have a mosquito net canopy above my head and an oscillating fan blowing on me?
--Will I always have an unhealthy fear of accidentally drinking water from the tap?
--Will I always have an unhealthy lack of fear of rats, because they're just part of life?
--Will I end all of my plans with "if ______________ is working"?  (the _______ being the car, internet, electricity, etc)

Honestly, that's about all I can think of. I'm sure there are dozens of more weird habits I have picked up, that I don't even realize anymore because they are so ingrained into my every day routine. I'm settled in to life here. I've adjusted to the different routines and ways to do things, so much so that they are no longer "different" but are now normal.

Just some thoughts from today. This afternoon a few of us are getting out of town this weekend to go camping in the mountains. We haven't been out of the city at all this semester and it will be fabulous to get into the mountains with the fresh, cool air and relax for a bit.....if the car is working :)

No comments:

Post a Comment