Friday, January 27, 2012

Bad at Blogging

I realized this morning it had been a week and a half since I had written anything. Never fear, I am still alive. There just hasn't been too terribly much to post about. I go to work, I teach, I grade papers, I come home, I eat, I sleep. My day is not to terribly different from anyone else's, I just happen to do my day in a slightly different location.

News: JoAnn (from previous post) started school this week! She is going to a French school in the city. I'm thankful for Jill & Kellyanne's faithfulness in this situation and for the Lord's goodness in providing a school for her to go to as well as the funds to make that happen!

This past week we had our third volleyball match. Our girls played against a French school here in the city. The school we played against is known for being fabulous at volleyball, and they were. We had played them before, but their margin of victory was smaller this time around. We play them at our school next Wednesday and I think the outcome will be different.

Creole classes started up again this week. There is nothing more humbling than sitting in a classroom for two hours and not really knowing what is going on. The number of people in the class has dropped significantly due to busy schedules and life getting in the way. I am going to try and stick it out for the next four weeks. I have learned a lot. This session of the class will be taught mostly in Creole and I am surprised by what I am able to pick up. At the very least, I am better able to understand some of what my students go through. I feel a greater bit of sympathy for that one kid in the class who is behind and struggling to catch up. Its frustrating and exhausting all at the same time and I will never look at "that kid" the same way.

This afternoon we are heading to the beach for the weekend for our QCS staff retreat. Another perk of teaching in Haiti...the beach is a short two hour drive away. Friday-Sunday at the beach. I'm excited to get there and swim, play, read, relax.

That's about all that's happening in my world right now. There are some fun things coming up in the next few weeks: I'm going with our senior class on a hike up to Seguin. The next weekend I will be meeting up with Watermark's family team coming in on Thursday the 16th and joining them, as well as my friend Roseana and the team she is bringing down, at Mission of Hope for a few days. Then, our spring break is the next week and a few of us are going to attempt to hike to Jacmel and spend a couple of days there.

No comments:

Post a Comment