Monday, November 28, 2011

Haitian Thanksgiving

Well, today it’s back to the grind. Thanksgiving weekend is over and we had a blast! I won’t write every detail, so if you want a more detailed account, check out Larissa’s blog here.
Wednesday:
Picked up my friends at the airport, had a quick tour around the school and then headed to the Child Hope feeding program. This was also the day that Christmas happened early in our apartment! Larissa and Roseana brought me tons of goodies from home including…a Christmas tree!! We had a nice dinner at Epi D’or and then called it a night

Thursday:
We got up and took a taptap up to Petion-ville in search of three places: Marie Beliard (best bakery ever), Giant grocery store, and Rebo Coffee shop. We got lost and ended up at Giant which sells coffee and bakery treats from the same bakery we were searching for. Win!
We got back to school and went with MIquette to the TeacHaiti school to check out all the awesomeness she has going on over there. You should check it out too, click here.


After we returned from Teach Haiti we spent a couple of hours resting and baking in preparation for Thanksgiving. We had Thanksgiving dinner with 40 friends, new and old, at the O’Kelley’s house. It was great to meet new people and laugh and fellowship over a veritable feast of turkey, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, salads, green beans, desserts, and so much more

Friday:
We went to Kaliko Beach club. We sat in chairs and did nothing all day long. It was glorious.

Saturday:
We wanted to go up the mountain to Hotel Ibolele however, taptaps don’t go up there and I don’t have a car. What do we do? Take a mototaxi. A man that works for Mrs. O’Kelley drives a moto and had two friends who agreed to take us up the mountain. It was scary and fun all at the same time, but I don’t think I’ll be making this a regular form of transportation.

We spent a few hours at Ibolele swimming and eating before heading back down the mountain. We spent the evening at a local basketball game. One of the teachers at QCS coaches a city-team and they had their first game of the season. This game deserves its own blog post and might get it, but here are some pictures until then.

Sunday:
My friends were incredibly patient this weekend. I have had a nasty head cold, now turned sinus infection, and by today I was beat. We went to the house church, had lunch at Epi D’or and then sat around. I wanted to take them to the waterfall, but couldn’t manage it. I thank them for their patience. Thankfully, they were both engrossed in reading The Hunger Games series so they were kept well entertained by Katniss Everdeen and her antics.
It was a wonderful, relaxing weekend and I’m excited I got to share my world here with my friends from Dallas! I am also thankful no one got food poisoning or killed on a moto. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment